Wednesday, September 4, 2013

UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs Bader



Teixeira is on a nineteen fight win streak and I have a small piece of me that is hoping that at some point he lands a fight against Jon Jones. Never being a fan of Jon Jones because I have always believed that he is a complete hypocrite, which was cemented after he wrecked his Bentley and got a DUI. Jones is the type of guy that I love to hate, claiming that he can "carry the cross" for the UFC as well as be a good face for the company. I hope and pray that Teixeira walks through Ryan Bader tonight, not because I have any dislike for Ryan Bader even though I feel he is a bit over-rated but because I am dying to see someone put Jones in his place. It's pretty clear that the UFC will do everything they can to preserve Jon Jones pristine image and for a long time I also feel like they were feeding him fights that they knew he would win. Either way Teixeira has always struck me as a solid competitor who doesn't seem the least bit intimated about taking a fight against Jon Jones. I would not want to be in Ryan Bader's position right now. He certainly does not have a sterling record in the UFC and everyone knows that if he takes another loss tonight he may only get one more fight (if he's lucky) and he'll most likely get his walking papers. I guess there is always Bellator.

One other match up I am probably more excited to see is Yushin Okami vs Jacare Souza. Everyone knows that Jacare's ground work is simply something to behold. He has 14 of his 18 wins coming by submission and once the fight hit the mat with Carmozzi, Jacare put him to sleep in a matter of seconds with an arm triangle. Yushin is definitely a game opponent but I'm interested to see if he is capable of keeping the fight standing or at least be able to score some take downs and land some shots using his ground and pound. Yushin would still have to be very careful in order to avoid becoming another victim of Jacare's submission game.

I am not one of the fans out there that completely ignore the lighter weight divisions but Benavidez is fighting someone I have never heard of. Benavidez has a good scrap against Demetrious Johnson, dropping a split decision in a very close and technical fight and I'm sure this is a fight he is taking solely to keep his blood flowing before what I feel will be an imminent rematch with Johnson. A few other media outlets are calling this card complete "garbage" but it ironically enough these cards usually sometimes deliver more than the actual PPV events.


MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)

Ryan Bader vs. Glover Teixeira
Yushin Okami vs. Ronaldo Souza
Joseph Benavidez vs. Jussier Formiga
Piotr Hallmann vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Rafael Natal vs. Tor Troeng
Ali Bagautinov vs. Marcos Vinicius

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 5 p.m. ET)

Felipe Arantes vs. Edimilson Souza
Ramiro Hernandez vs. Lucas Martins
Elias Silverio vs. Joao Zeferino
Ivan Jorge vs. Keith Wisniewski

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)

Sean Spencer vs. Yuri Villefort

No comments:

Post a Comment